If you’re the type of person who’s constantly nagging your kids to turn off the lights, the television and their computers when they’re not in use, have your ever considered how you can reduce running costs for other appliances? For example, there are some simple things you can do to reduce the running costs of your refrigerator and fridge repairs may be one of them.
Fridges on 24/7
Your fridge is likely to be the appliance that consumes the most electricity in your Adelaide home. Part of this is because fridges must run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, but that doesn’t mean you can’t reduce the running costs.
Look at these fridge electricity savers thanks to carbonTrac
- Let hot food cool down naturally before you put it in the fridge. This will mean your appliance has less work to do, which means it will use less electricity.
- An obvious tip is to keep your fridge and freezer doors shut as much as possible, as open doors let cold air out. This means more electricity is needed to get the fridge or freezer compartment to temperature again.
- Fridge repairs can also keep your Adelaide fridge running more efficiently. In particular, make sure your seals are working correctly and get them replaced if they leak. Leaking door seals will make a fridge work harder, which means it uses more electricity.
- Freezers work best and most efficiently when full, so reduce empty space inside your fridge’s freezer compartment.
- Meanwhile, overpacking the fridge compartment isn’t efficient either, because the fridge needs space for the air to circulate. Aim to keep it around two-thirds full.
- Fridge repairs may be important, but a simple ‘repair’ you can do yourself on your Adelaide fridge is to brush or vacuum the condenser coils behind or beneath your fridge. Dirty coils will use more energy and can reduce the life of your fridge.
- Make sure your fridge and freezer are at the right temperatures. Too cold and it will use more electricity; too hot and food will spoil. Aim for around 5 degrees Celsius for fridge compartments and -18 degrees Celsius for freezer compartments.
- Make sure your fridge has space for ventilation on all sides and the top. Also, keep it away from the sun and other heat sources.
- When defrosting food, move it from the freezer to the fridge. It’s not only safer, but it will also help to cool your fridge without using electricity.
Fridge repairs in Adelaide
The other way you can save costs with fridges is to have them repaired when something goes wrong, rather than buying a new one.
When considering fridge repairs and whether it’s worth it, the main factors are the age and quality of your fridge. A good quality fridge should last for around 13 years or longer. A mid-level quality fridge should make it to around nine years. While a budget-level fridge will only last around six. However, even if your fridge is past it’s used-by-date, if the repair item is simple (e.g. replacement door seal or a faulty thermostat) it should be worth repairing.
For fridge repairs in Adelaide, the best place to go is Warradale Appliance Service. We have the experience and know-how to look after you. We also repair washing machines, freezers and tumble dryers.
We’ll get your fridge working again. Much cheaper than buying a new one!
Give us a call on 8296 3136 or drop into our store in Warradale. We can also come to you for a small call-out-fee.